Monday, July 2, 2012

Class Is In Session

I was awake, yet my eyes remained closed. It was my first morning here at Penn, and I was already wishing that when I opened my eyes I would see the familiar walls of my room at home. I talked to my mom last nigh, and it made me very home sick. Laying in bed thinking about my room at home really wasn't helping at all, so I forced myself out of bed. As I was getting dressed in my rommate-less room, I tried to find something to look forward to today. That wasn't too hard, there were many things to look forward to. I was meeting my cohort for breakfast, it was the first day of class, and it was the start of my first full day here.

After waiting in line for almost an hour, we finally got our breakfast. Since it was our first day, there were people walking us to class. Unfortunately breakfasst did cause us to miss the first batch of drop offs, but we made it for the second trip. I walked into my class, which isn't too large, and I could feel a butterfly parade going on in my stomach. I took the first seat I saw, which was conveniently at the same table as Chloe and Cameron. Prof. Lamas, whom I was eager to meet, arrived shortly. We began the class with an ice breaker. We paired up with somebody we did not know, and we had to try and find something unique we had in common with our partner. My partner and I are both fascinated by serial killers. It isn't the act or even the serial killer himself, but the motives behind the crime, their mentality, like what could have been going through their heads? Anyways, we discussed topics such as opression and political power. At 12 PM, we departed for a two hour lunch break, and reconviened in a different building at two. In that part of the class we went deep into discussion about freedom, and many famous philosophers. Prof. Lamas has the best teaching style I have ever seen: he encourages everybody to speak their mind, he pushed us to think outside of the box, to take it one step further, and he considers us to be teachers as well.

As class ended, Cameron, Chloe, and I walked back to the dorms. I decided to go to Chloe's room, because, well, I didn't want to be in my rommate-less dorm. Cameron stayed with us as well. Dinner was held from five to seven at Houston Market, and it was probably six when we left Chloe's dorm. As we made our way down the hall, I had the sudden urge to go to my room and check if my roommate had arrived. I was almost 100% sure there would be nobody there, but I just had to make sure. Surprise! She was just walking out of our room when I reached the door. I can't even put into words how happy I was that my roommate had finally arrived! Her name is Anika, she lives in India, but is originally from Louisiana. 

The rest of the evening was spent taking a tour of our home area safe zone. I don't think I'll remember any of what they showed us, but it's okay because Wawa is right up the street! Oh, for those of you who don't know, Wawa is, in Ed Healy's own words, "7-Eleven on steroids." That place is amazing! Our cohort also came together in my room for another legendary blog party. The night is now ending with my wonderful roommate sleeping peacefully, and me, exhausted from another long day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment