Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fun In Silence

For the rest of this week, Lisa Jo Epstein will be teaching the class, and today was day one. Lisa Jo Epstein is the co-founder of a theater company called Gas and Electric Arts, as well as a theater director and educator.
During the morning and afternoon class she had us do many different exercises. There really wasn't a time where I was doing absolutely nothing. The one thing I really liked about the exercises was that everybody was involved, nobody was left out. I feel like during our regular class discussions, there is only a handful of kids who are actively participating. Some reasons the rest might not participate is maybe because, they're shy, afraid of judgment, intimidated, or feel like what they have to say does not matter. But today everybody was able to participate, and by what I saw, everybody enjoyed it. The one thing that I liked the most about today's class was the silence. During the majority of our exercises we were not allowed to say a word, some involved coming up with random noises, but no words. It is important to be heard and to be able to express yourself, but should that always be with words? No, today we learned how important it is to be able to communicate and express yourself without talking.

After class, I ate dinner with the majority of my cohort. We went pretty early and I think that might just be what we'll have to do for the rest of our time here, if we want to avoid the ridiculously long lines. I didn't go to the gym this morning like I regularly do, so after dinner I headed straight to the gym.  I was only there for maybe an hour and a half when it was time to go if I wanted to make it in time for the ice cream social. The ice cream social was an event located in the quad for the Summer Discovery students. We were given two scoops of any ice cream we wanted accompanied with a small selection of toppings. This was a time to just have fun, socialize, and eat a yummy frozen treat.  Now doesn't that sound like a great way to end an already amazing day?

No comments:

Post a Comment