Monday, July 9, 2012

Montenegro And Liberation


The second week of classes were beginning today. After two days of rest I was ready to get back in the class discussions about politics, religion, freedom, liberty, or even changing the world , as that was today's topic. We had a guess speaker who spoke on the fact that in order to change the world we first have to alter the mindsets of the people. Much of his speech was directly correlated to the "Essay On Liberation" which is book written by Marcuse, that argues that the traditional conceptions of human freedom have been rendered obsolete by the development of advanced industrial society. Marcuse also analyses major thinkers since the Enlightenment such as Kant, Freud, and Marx, Which reveal a depth of knowledge. Our speaker was from Montenegro , and he gave us a brief background of the the small country, such as the location and the years until it was an Independent state. He states that communism was in rule from 1945-1991 and as 1994-today the communist party still rules but under a different name. What can this possibly say?

Deciding what to discuss in class( what ever really interest us)
                                       
After this long but interesting discussion it was lunch time. As I walked down the steps to Houston dining hall and made a left , my eyes widened at the site of a human traffic jam. I instantly remembered that we got in a new batch of students for the engineering program. Well as I squeezed my way passed people I finally got what I was going to eat for lunch , which was a California roll, for the 3rd time:).After lunch we gathered once again , but split into three groups and discussed what had gone on that morning.We did this under the trees and than migrated into the nicely air conditioned dining court were we all enjoyed some ice cream. 

After all that conversation I went back to my dorm room and took a nap and promptly rose for dinner at 7 o'clock. Surprisingly as I was walking to the dining hall Ed Healy was also on his way to dinner. I caught up to him and we discussed how I liked the program thus far and other things revolving education. It was almost close to closing time for the cafeteria , so not many people were there , so after I choose what I was going to eat for that night, no one was sitting with Mr. Healy so I pulled up a chair and We eat and watched NBR. Today was a good day and I think I am settling in well.Looking forward to the things to come in my Social Justice acadamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment