Saturday, July 7, 2012

From One Beautiful City to Another

This morning, after an early breakfast at Cosi, we traveled from campus to Manhattan.  I enjoyed the views from the bus window and it only took us about 2 hours to make the trip.  We started at Columbia campus and the surrounding area.  We had around and hour and a half, and although we didn't have an official campus tour, it was nice to get a feel for Columbia.  Mariko and I went to Tom's Restaurant (any Seinfeld fans out there?) for some delicious milkshakes, and then went in to the New York Public Library.  I really liked the area, and Columbia's campus was lusciously green and beautiful.  
Mariko and I at Columbia

Afterward, we re-boarded the bus and drove to Times Square.  I got to see a lot of the city through my window, and it was even easier to enjoy the sights inside the air-conditioned bus.  Just like at campus, we had a home area where we were allowed to wander freely for a few hours.  I walked around with Mariko, Alysa, Chloe, Ivette, and our friend Jacob.  I got a soft pretzel and delicious lemonade for lunch, and then we went to the M&M store.  I had a hard time tearing myself away from the three stories of chocolate and chocolate-themed knickknacks.  But, after some fun souvenir shopping, we headed down to Forever 21.  

Yes, those are M&Ms
Earlier in the week I signed up for to go to the top of Rockefeller Center in an activity called "Top of the Rock." "Top of the Rock" was an amazing experience.  I didn't see Liz Lemon or Jack Donaghy, but I did see a beautiful view of New York City.  In the elevator up to the 67th floor, the ceiling played a montage of the building's history.  Rockefeller Center has been there since 1933 and it has a rich past.  I spent quite some time at the top gawking at the buildings and parks in the city.  It truly is a beautiful place and I know I will go back in the future.

I was the only one of the cohort to sign up for this and I felt a little out of my comfort zone without everyone.  However, I met some new people from the program and I had a great time talking about the obscure TV shows I watch.  Tomorrow, I have nothing planned, and I am looking forward to a nice, relaxing day after a nonstop week.  A full night's sleep won't be a bad thing either.

No comments:

Post a Comment