Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Day For Steakin'

Up until 5:00 PM my day progressed as it normally would. Physics class was spent lecturing on a new subject then we had a cosmologist come in and give a lecture. I found this lecture to be very interesting and after this presentation and the lecture from the astronaut, I may look into studying astronomy. I really like how this physics class has encouraged me to think about pursuing other fields. Prior to this class I had never even thought about studying planets and stars. Physics is a gateway to many other fields as physics is in everything. 

After lunch we went into our special interest groups. Although my oobleck group is plenty of fun, I enjoyed peeking in on the group that was making clouds with dry ice and alcohol. Today we played with ratios a little bit more. We are still trying to find the right ratios to form the perfect oobleck. Our oobleck group of eight broke into two smaller groups of four. My group worked with a 1:1 ratio. Though it seemed more watery than the other group's, we are convinced that we have found the right ratio. 
My wonderful oobleck team!
After mixing up a large batch of oobleck we dropped balls of different weights and materials from different heights into the oobleck to see what would happen. We are learning to use video analysis to help us form a more firm hypothesis. We tried to synchronize the graph from the force sensor with the video clips we gathered. We haven't quite figured it out yet, but we still have the rest of the week. When we concluded our tests we cleaned up and were free to go. 


I went back to my dorm to investigate the internet problem and prepare for "Philly Cheesesteakin'". At first I was a little hesitant to go on the trip, but I am so glad I went. How could I go to Philly and not get a cheesesteak?! When we arrived in South Philly we were given two options for food. There was Geno's and there was Pat's, both places looked delicious. Clara, her roommate Temi, and I chose to eat at Geno's because there wasn't a line. We went through what reminded me of a lunch line at school. First you order your cheesesteak at the first window and pay. Then you proceed to the second window where you order your drink and fries if you want them. The cheesesteak was phenomenal! The simplicity of just steak, American cheese, and onions on a roll was amazing. I may have to go on another cheesesteak run before I leave Philly! 


We all headed back to campus full and satisfied. We still had a few hours before our mandatory floor meeting so I went to the gym with hopes of burning off some of the calories I consumed from the sandwich. I made it back to campus with plenty of time to spare so I went to my room and sat down for a few minutes. In the meeting we handled our regular duties which just consists of choosing our movie for Friday night. Not to my surprise, almost everyone chose to go see the new Batman movie. 

Tomorrow is another day of oobleck-y goodness. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment