Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fields of Interest

Today started off as any other day: woke up a few minutes before my alarm went off and went from hall to hall trying to find an open bathroom. I then went back to my room to get ready for the long day ahead of me. I stopped by a street vendor on my way to class to pick up a fruit salad. The fruit salad consisted of oranges, watermelon, honeydew, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapes with a banana on the side. I arrived to class with a few minutes to spare so I took some time to eat my food.

Our first guest lecturer was a neurosurgeon from the university. I found this lecture to be interesting not only because I am interested in the field of neurology but also because we were investigating whether or not roller coasters could cause brain injury. I think this was of interest to the whole class because we recently went to Hershey Park and rode roller coasters for a project. At the end of the presentation it was revealed that roller coasters can not cause brain injuries. The only way a person can possibly experience injury is if they already have have an existing condition or problem such as an aneurysm.

The next lecturer was Professor Trodden who was from the university as well. Prof Trodden is a cosmologist just like our lecturer from a few days ago. What I found interesting is the difference between how everyday people view galaxies and how cosmologists view galaxies. To the average person, galaxies are these very extravagant, beautiful, bewildering clusters of stars. To a cosmologist, a galaxy is simply a small box on a screen. It was really interesting to find out how our universe is growing. To every galaxy it seems as if all other galaxies are moving away from it, thus giving it the affect that it is the center of the universe. No matter what galaxy you are in it would seem like you are in the center of the universe.

Tomorrow I have to wake up early to mix up two hundred and fifty pounds of corn starch and water with the other members of my interest group.

Gotta go prepare for an oobleck-y day!

No comments:

Post a Comment